Whether you are digging an ideal school for the first time for your child or planning to move your child from one school to another, choosing a right school for your little one is not easy. So many school choice options available these days that it is difficult to select the one that fits perfect.
The first step should be short listing some schools in your area. Talking to other parents and gather their experiences and thoughts about schools can help. Schedule a tour to shortlisted schools. Even a short visit to school will give you sense of the school’s strengths, challenges and approaches toward teaching and learning.
School tour helps make your decision easy. School facilities, School environment, discipline, teacher-student ratio, academics and extracurricular activities these are few components you may judge the school.
Look for following signs on each school visit. Make your own notes and rate each school.
- The classrooms look cheerful and students are focused on their work.
- Student work is displayed, and it is appropriate for the grade level.
- Teachers seem enthusiastic and knowledgeable.
- The principal is confident and interested in interacting with children, teachers, and parents.
- Students act respectfully toward each other in class and at lunchtime.
- There is a playground and school promotes sports.
- School has Cafeteria and school promotes healthy lunch.
- There is an art/music room, science room, and computer lab.
- Students have access to various co-curricular activities throughout the day.
- Facilities are well maintained, Cafeteria, lobby and the bathrooms are clean and well
- Supplied, and the grounds look safe and inviting.